Khajuraho Temples are very famous all over the world. Madhya Pradesh is the place for many monuments representative of various periods of history.
We can see here famous rock paintings, Buddhist stupas, Khajuraho temples and much more. Among them, Khajurah temples are the spectacular piece of human-made. The artistic style, creativity, and magnificent architectural work frozen the eyes of the visitors.
Khajuraho Temples History:
These monuments belong medieval period. The Chandella rulers built these temples during their rule between 980AD to 1130 AD. The Chandella dynasty followed the custom of every Chandella ruler has built at least one temple in his lifetime. So all the Chandella rulers followed their custom, in the way, the group of Khajaro temples formed.
Abu Rihan al Biruni the Arab traveler mentioned about the glory of Khajuraho temples in 1022 AD. Later another Arab traveler Ibn Battuta narrated the beauty of temples in 1335 AD. The local traditional stories and other scriptures list 85 temples in Khajuraho. Later many temples destroyed by the Muslim Invaders.
Now only 25 temples remained, they taking various preservation methods to relocate the glory of the temples.
Deserted Khajuraho Temples:
Chandella rulers were very brilliant in administration skills. They intended the religion and culture activities were quite different to the politics. So they made Mahoba as their political capital, which is about 60 KM away from Khajuraho. And they made Khajuraho as their cultural capital. Khajuraho derived from Khajuraho means Date and vahika mean bearing. Khajuraho was enclosed by a wall with 8 gates for entry and exit. Every gate flanked by two date and palm trees. So the name of the place gets its name Khajuraho.
Re-Discovered Khajuraho Temples:
Chandella dynasty came to end after 1150 AD. Muslim invaders did not tolerate for worshipping other religious Gods. In those days many Muslim invaders invaded various kingdoms and destroyed many temples and deities. So citizens of Khajuraho wanted to left Khajuraho to remain the place Solitude to escape from the attacks of Muslim invaders. All the citizen left the place and made the temples solitude and misguided the attention of Muslim invaders. So about 500 years the temples remain in forest cover. But in early years of the 9th century, the place was re-discovered by British engineer T.S. Burt.
Hence the Khajuraho temples again came into limelight.